Monday, March 11, 2013

For the love of Arn...and baby Belle...

I have always loved animals and have been blessed to have some good ones in my life. Cats, dogs, fish, birds, and even a few bunnies have all been part of my life. For a long time, I went without having a pet at home. It took a lot of convincing to get my sister/landlord to agree to let me have a cat. Once she did, I went straight out and adopted one.

At Petco, every Saturday, Kindred Kitties has cats up for adoption. I went there just to see what they had. What they had were some of the cutest cats and kittens I'd ever seen. At first, I held a tiny tabby - just 9 weeks old - and thought this was the one I would get but then in the very last cage was a black and white tabby who was all curled up, sleeping, and trying to ignore everyone. There was a lady in front of me who spotted him first and tried to get him to come out to be held but he was not having it. It was clear he didn't want anything to do with her. That wasn't a good sign, I thought, because it looked like he was being stand offish and shy. I wanted a kitty that had some spunk but that was still a cuddler. After she moved on I went up the cage and reached it to pet him. Lo and behold, he got right up and came to me. I picked him up and he immediately snuggled up under my chin and started purring. That was it. Arnie was mine. I told the Kindred Kitties lady that I would be right back. I loaded up a cart with everything a cat might need or even want and then I went back for him. I filled out the paperwork and was dismayed to read the bottom stating that after they checked out my information I could take him home in a couple of days. Okay, I thought, if that's how it has to happen, oh well, it will happen. But when I gave the lady my paperwork and adoption fee she just handed him to me! I was taking him home that same day!

Arnie took a minute or two to get used to his new home. He was hesitant to come out of the carrier but once he did, he sniffed around  and made himself right at home. We played together on the floor and I showed him where his food and litter box were located. He seemed satisfied that this home would do! I showed him to Alex via Skype. I got him before Alex had moved to the US so this was how he got to know Arnie - via Skype. The first time Alex met him in person they were instant buddies. Still are!

The first night Arnie came home I went to bed only to find him sitting at my bedside looking at me for a while. I called his name and he jumped up on the bed and that's where he slept. He still sleeps on my bed sometimes though now he's older so he's not as scared to be out in the living room anymore.

Things have changed a lot for Arnie and me. First, another kitty named Brigitte came to live with us. But, sadly, she became very ill at a very young age and passed away. Arnie and Brigitte loved playing with each other and once she was gone he was a little lonely. Second, and best of all, Alex came to live with us! Arnie loves running around the house with Alex. Alex gets out the laser pointer and Arn goes a little crazy chasing it back and forth through the apartment. Then he rests. That's the thing about cats. They rush around like mad for a short time and then sleep it off for a few hours afterwards. Third, a skinny little fluff named Belle came to stay. She was all bones and runny nose when she arrived. Now she's a scrappy ball of grey who's stolen all of our hearts. She is definitely Alex's girl. And that's just fine because Arnie is all mine. Whenever I'm just sitting down to watch some TV, Arnie is there - ready for a long snuggle and some head rubbing. He looks at me in the eyes and we have long talks. Yes, I talk to my cat! Get over it! LOL We talk about everything though he mostly listens. He loves for me to hold him which is fine but he also has the annoying habit of trying to get me to hold him when I'm at my computer. It's difficult getting anything done with a 15 pound cat trying to snuggle under your chin! If I shoo him away he'll sneak around and come up behind me as if I can't see him doing it. We always have to make sure there is dry cat food in the dish at night because he gets hungry at about 3am. If it's empty he's on our pillows sniffing and purring into our ears to wake us up! Again, annoying and endearing at the same time.

Arnie and I have a copacetic relationship. He's the first one awake when I am awake and usually the last one that comes and says good night, in his own way. He has found a place in my heart that only someone who's ever had a pet can understand. There is a responsiblity to being a pet owner for sure but there is a desire to do right by him (and Belle) too. This little fur beast who's put so much trust in me and who gives me unconditional love. No matter what I do during the day, how crappy my day might be, or who I might piss off - Arnie is there to let me know that it will all be find in the end.

I'm sure that to those who've either never had a pet or who don't like cats, I look like a crazy cat lady. Maybe in another life I was or still could be. I don't think so though. Because it's not just any cat will do for me. It's Belle  - the scrappy princess  - and my beloved Arn - my big headed boy - who make each day happier and full of love.

No comments: