I rarely come to a Friday feeling that I have totally completed the week's worth of work. In fact, most Friday's the best I can do is arrange what hasn't been completed or, in some cases, even touched yet into orderly, measuralbe "to do" piles on my desk.
Case in point:
As part of my job I have to keep track of and complete employee performance evaluations - at 6 months for new hires and annually after that. In the past 6 months, I have hired at least 7 new employees and, of course, still supervise the same reliable workhorses I always have. All 7 newbies were due for review last month and 3 seasoned employees were due for their annual review then as well. I have been so completely swamped at work that those personnel files were constantly getting shifted into new "to do" piles at the end of each week. Well, not anymore! Today, I actually had the time to sit and complete the eval forms and get them done.
I know this doesn't sound like such an accomplishment but, the thing is, I feel very responsible for my workers and I know that evaluation time can bring on a variety of emotions. One is that it's not easy being evaluated. There's always a lot of tension and specualtion as to what the eval will say. They get nervous and I know that waiting for me to get the darn thing done just adds to that. Another is that each eval generally means a raise of some sort. It's never a huge raise but a raise none the less and being made to wait for that just isn't fair. So, for me, getting these finally completed means that I can calm their nerves and get them a little bit more money to boot. But it's also more...I don't often get a chance to tell them how great I think they are. I have some of the hardest working people on my crew. They put in 150% each and everyday and get very little thanks or monetary compensation for it. And when I am so busy and often not at the office site, I don't get the opportunity to just take them aside and tell them how appreciated they really are.
So, I feel good that these are done and I can move onto the next batch coming up. I hope when they see what I've written about them on the evals themselves they will also see how much I really do believe that, regardless of those times when we may not always get along, I know that I supervise the best group here at KHDS.
1 comment:
Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Celular, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://telefone-celular-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.
Post a Comment