Thursday, May 30, 2013

Weird week...

I took this week off from work. When I did I thought it would be nice to have the days to myself, puttering around the house alone, while Alex was at work. Turns out I have the entire place to myself for the next four days. And I don't like it.

Alex is in Sweden this week for his mother's funeral.

It's been weird because since we were married we really haven't been apart all that much. And the distance between here and Sweden seems enormous. It reminds me of all the time we spent apart when we were working to get into one country to be together. I would go there for a short time and he would come here and so forth but the time in between was horrible. The house was silent. I'd find things he left behind all over the place - a lone sock here, a CD there. We'd talk on the phone and it was never enough. We'd chat online and it was never enough. The time difference alone was killer.

Yesterday I drove him to catch the bus to O'Hare Airport. Those old feelings of loss rolled over me as the bus pulled away. I cried. As I always did. It was so much the same!

I know this time apart will be short. He's returning on Sunday. And I know there will be other times when we'll be apart. But when you love someone, really love them, even the shortest time apart feels like an eternity.

I miss him a lot. It's too quiet and there's nothing to do when he's gone. What a miserable week off this has been....

No comments: