Friday, October 17, 2014

Becoming more Swedish?

Next month, Alex and I will celebrate our 5th anniversary. It's gone by so quickly, it's hard to believe that five years has already past! Every day we have grown and learned and laughed and fought and made up and loved each other more and more. It's been the best five years of my life - so far. I anticipate many more to come.

I've been thinking about how I've changed in the last 5 years. I guess at first glance one wouldn't notice but I know that Alex has had the most positive and profound influence on me in so many ways. For one, even though this past year I have dealt with some unusual health problems I feel I am more keenly aware of getting and being healthy than ever before. I know I am eating better. Less processed crap and more fresh fruit and veg. As it happens, Alex has turned out to be a really good cook (or as I would tell him, "very OK") and I have to admit I like not cooking! I'm sure he gets tired of it once in awhile but after being the sole cook for so long, I'm enjoying the break!

Alex has also made me more financially responsible. Not that I wasn't before but I wasn't as responsible as I could have been. He's shown me that by taking time to do it right we can have the things we want and not be in peril of losing everything! I think some of our worst arguments have been about money but I know he's right...I just won't admit it!

Alex has also made me appreciate quiet time. I used to come home and have the TV on all the time. And I mean, ALL the time! I would mindlessly watch or not watch show after show and it was mind numbing. The constant sound drove Alex nuts and the TV had to go. And you know what? I don't really miss it. I do watch certain shows a few nights per week and, of course, I have to watch the Packers play. But most of the time, our TV is off. And it's quiet and we read stuff and listen to music and watch movies on Netflix and it's bliss.

So all of this makes me wonder - am I becoming more Swedish? All of these attributes that have influenced me really do seem to be a more Swedish attitude than anything else. Or am I just becoming more Alex-like? Haha! Oh, I love the man but I really hope it's the Swedish thing!

No comments: