Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Dark days...

This time of year is always so strange to me. One the one hand, I know that Christmas, my favorite holiday, is just around the corner. On the other hand, it's dark and cold and days are long and seem harder than necessary. Maybe that's the point of the winter season. To help us remember how to relish the good times and earn our place in the sun. All I know is I can understand why bears hibernate.

I love the snow. We actually had a few soft flakes already and it was pretty, if not entirely welcomed by everyone. Maybe Halloween wasn't the best time for the first snow but that's how it can be in Wisconsin so who's complaining. Actually, everyone is complaining because that's what we do in Wisconsin. We are fiercely proud of our state but we will complain loudly about our weather. I guess experiencing all the seasons in one day is something to brag about. Not all areas of the country can say that!

So that dark days are here. The wind howls at night. Mornings start in grey haze with gusts that blow the last of the leaves down the street. A chill runs through me every morning before I get that first cup of Joe. And I hunker down to start making the insides brighter, lightening the dark with candles and sparkles and tinsel and wishes and that is why I love the anticipation that comes before Christmas. It's all a time to prepare for the long haul of winter and the closeness that being locked inside for months will bring.

We're going to need more cocoa and tea!

No comments: