Monday, August 17, 2015

Good friends never get old...

I spent the day yesterday with some folks that I went to college with. We get together once a year and though it's usually a core group of us that makes the date the actual group size varies from 4 to 10 depending on life schedules and flight schedules and whatnot.

We eat and drink and talk and laugh far too much.

These people are my tribe.

They knew me when I was young and full of myself and my self doubts. They helped me understand that I could be anything but I was also nothing. They listened when I had almost something to say and let me know, in no uncertain terms, when I was full of shit. Our time together molded us into the people we are today. And though our lives have all taken very different paths we can still come together and feel those same familiar feelings of deep love, respect and good natured kidding with one another. Nobody knows me like they do. Not even family.

And, man, do I love them all.

I found myself sitting back for a time watching them as they chatted and laughed together and thinking how damn lucky I am to have happened across their path at that exact right time in that exact right place. Those hugs we gave when we said good bye until next year were tight and hard and warm and sincere. The very best kind. And to say the words, I love you, to each one of them was so easy.

I miss them already - Scott, Patty, Andy, Becky, Rhonda, Kim - and those who could not make it this year - JC, Jim, Gary and Lee - I miss them all.

Good friends, good times, good laughs, good memories...never get old. Ever.

No comments: