Saturday, April 26, 2008

The interrogation...

Yesterday, I was at my mom's for dinner. It's a standing Friday night event. We all go to her house, take turns cooking and play Canasta afterwards. I got their earlier than anyone else so my mom and I were having a conversation. She began asking me all sorts of questions about Alex and his family and where they live and what they do and their ages and their relationships and... well, you get the idea.

It was a good talk though and I'll tell you why. My mom has a certain MO that she has followed all my life. It's predictable. If I am ever in a relationship, her first take on it is to not talk about it at all and almost show contempt if I do. Her next step is to "warm up" to those times that I will bring the relationship up. This happens even long after she may have already met the person I am with. Next, she starts asking some questions. These first questions are never directed at me but rather she will ask my siblings about the relationship to pick their brains about what they may or may not know. Lastly, she will just will just let fly with her interrogation. That's what she did last night. It's her way of showing her acceptance and approval in her own limited way. So, it made me happy that she was genuinely interested and wanted to know more about the man I love.

Mom's are funny that way. No matter how old we are, Mom is always protective and cautious with each step of our lives. I know my Mom doesn't want any of her kids to be hurt and I appreciate that. It's somehow sweet and sentimental to know that she still feels the same way about these things as she did when I was 16!

No comments: