Tuesday, July 8, 2014

So here I am...

I realize I have been slacking and not written a word in this blog for a long time. Life has been pretty stressful lately. I've just started a new job and, being only one full week into it, there is still much I have to learn. The week prior to that I was sort of wearing two hats, trying to train my successor while being trained for my new position. Every day I go to work and have this big feeling of being both overwhelmed but excited. I start out with a fear that I won't know what to do and end the day with a satisfaction when I realize that I did know. It's a good feeling.

Because my new job, Director of the Community Intervention Center, comes with some prestige I have gone "all out" so to speak in making my new office livable. Normally, being a small not for profit means that our office furniture is either donated, hand me downs or the cheapest used stuff we can find. I decided to purchase my own so that I could get some nicer things. I got two nice chairs for office guests to sit in, a comfy office chair for me that won't fall apart in 6 months, and a small refrigerator so I can bring my lunch to work. My old boss left me a Keurig which I have been putting to good use! And he gave me a really nice torch lamp so I am not at the mercy of fluorescent lighting all day. I got some cool travel posters (Sweden, of course!) and decorated with some photos of family and friends. It's a pretty comfy, good looking office, if I say so myself. I do enjoy going there.

So little by little, I am becoming more confident in my job duties. I'm finding my stride and I do feel my new boss appreciates me so that's a plus. I still feel stressed. The days are busy though and the time flies by which is something I do like. I don't feel like time crawls which, I have to admit, I did feel on my old job at times. So far, I haven't had much down time.

I think I have this. I have a feeling I will be good at this. I'll keep learning and growing and I'll get there. I'm going to be okay.

1 comment:

Simon Waldram said...

Glad to hear you're settling in with your new job. I'm sure you will be great!