Friday, December 11, 2015

Staying in front of the pain...

Something they tell you to do after you have surgery is to try to stay in front of the pain. This means they want you to take a pain medication before the pain margin becomes too much for you to bear. This has always been a concept that eludes me though. I have a high threshold for pain. On a scale from 1 - 10 for most people who would be at a 8 or 9 I am usually at a 3 or 4. So it's hard for me to know what staying in front of the pain means, actually.

This pain I'm having since surgery is really kicking my ass though. I will admit that. I have had to take the pain meds which I hate but there's no getting around it. And I've been using my yoga breathing to get through the worst of it. But little by little I can feel some improvement each day.

I'm still waiting for the pathology results. The waiting sucks, I won't deny it. I hate waiting. I want to know what's next - either I am well and life goes on or I have more treatment and life goes on. Either way, I want to know which path is mine to take.

The other thing I have to do is inject myself twice a day with a blood thinner. Never thought I'd be sticking myself with needles but here I am, 9am and 9pm, without fail. Glad that's only temporary - it doesn't hurt but it isn't pleasant either.

I know that I am luckier than some who have been diagnosed with cancer. And I know that this could be just the beginning but I have to be positive that this is the worst it will be and once I get the results I will be on the way to better health.

I know for sure that I will not be sad to see the tail end of 2015. Three surgeries in one year...that's enough for me.

No comments: